History  
For over four centuries Belbroughton was noted for the manufacture of scythes. These scythes were used throughout the world for cutting crops and grass, before being gradually replaced by machinery. The stream which flows down from the Clent Hills (Ram or Rum Alley Brook) was dammed and widened into ponds at various intervals. This was done to store water, in order to turn the water wheels of the various mills which were built along its course. Scythes from Belbroughton were taken by horse and cart to Stourport and then down the River Severn by boat and eventually out to sea. Scythes and hay knives were shipped to far away places such as the Americas and Russia. Scythes have been made in Belbroughton from at least the early 1500s when John Waldern set up a works at Blade Mill, (Dark Lane). The Waldern name changed over the centuries to Waldron and the “Waldron” trademark became famous worldwide over the next four centuries. 

Isaac Nash started a business with two helpers in 1842 and eventually bought out the Waldrons business in 1873. Isaac Nash operated a series of mills in and around the Belbroughton area using the “Waldron” trademark.  

Belbroughton Workmens Club was opened by Isaac Nash as a club for the workers of the Belbroughton scythe works in 1886. Isaac Nash’s death followed the year after in 1887. The manufacture of scythes and hay knives continued until “Nash Works” was finally closed in 1968.  

The club building is listed as Grade 2 by English Heritage and dates from the early 17th Century, (thought to be 1610). The frontage of the club is late 18th Century.

The building has had various uses in its history, including being a private house and a bank. Before becoming a club the building was believed to have been used as a Public House called “The Mermaid” and had a malt house to rear of the building, including a well (where the bowling green now is). The name “Mermaid” is thought to have been taken from the name of the ship from which the building’s original timbers were salvaged. These can still be seen in some parts of the club today. The club changed its name to “Belbroughton Club” in 2000 to reflect its status as a family club and the fact that the club is used by ladies as well as men, although the club is still known by many local people as the “workmens club” or simply the “workmens”.